Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Multiliteracies


In my field, questions about whether to teach the technology to students is a continuing discussion. Some people believe that students should have to learn the technology on their own. That's how I learned. During college, I went into the brand new MAC lab and pulled up PageMaker, playing with it until I figured it out. If I couldn't figure out something, I would wait for a friend of mine to come in the lab and ask him. I also worked at the campus bookstore, so I would find a book on PageMaker (or whatever software I was working with) and look up how to complete a task. Because I worked with the software everyday, I could remember anything I read about it.

In my classroom, I wanted to give students a head start with the software by showing a quick demo and then expect that they will find resources for themselves. However, I'm always on hand to help beyond the demo. If I don't know how to do something, I'll look it up with the class and figure it out. Part of the problem with my classses is that there are only 5 classes and students have to pick up the software quickly. I've considered focusing on just one area, e.g., web design, therefore enabling students to be more apt with it. But opn the other hand, I need students to know multiple programs if they are to work as technical communicators. Students must become experts quickly, which isn't always feasible.

But when I focus on the functional literacy I worry that I'm not focusing enough on the critical or rhetorical literacies that students also need. I tried to mesh the literacies by requiring such assignments as blog posts so that students not only have to learn the technological environment of the blog but also respond to the theory discussed in the readings.The software analysis assignment is taken directly from Selber's book (discussed later in the book), which I think works well to get students thinking about the rhetorical aspects of technology. I chose the Digital Literacies book and the various other readings to help students develop a critical perspective of technology. I chose readings that I thought would challenge students, as theory should do.

I see Selber's idea of the multiliterate students as a nice, well-rounded perspective of developing the literaices needed in college and beyond.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that you post on the subjects as we do. This has been a great way to see a teachers perspective on the same subjects. Selber did do a good job of touching all the details on the subject as far as I know.
    I actually prefer how you are teaching us about technology. In the real world besides this class, I have never had the need to learn these programs: InDesign, Photoshop, Flash, Dreamweaver. It is unlikely I will need them in the field I wish to work in but it is nice to have. Learning it from you first will be good because of guidance and a neutral party informing me on my progress.
    Learning with you and also a bit on my own is great in school because if I did go into a job that required these programs to be used, I may not have the time or help I would need to learn it for the task.
    UNO should have more classes that encourage the use of programs that seem likely to be used in the future in companies and the real world outside of school. It really will prepare us and encourage the students to find a way to learn later as well. For instance, I did not know there were websites that teach you how to use or create things in the above listed programs. In any case, learning it from you is a beginning to me being able to learn so much more later on my own.

    ReplyDelete